GC Marine
homeservicescarbon fiberstanding riggingcordageshowcaseabout usfor sale

   (back to showcase home page)

Watchuhurri - Islander 36 - New paint job, New deck Layout, Structural Repairs to Bulkhead, Complete Rig overhaul with New Paint, New Standing Rigging

Projects: Design new deck paint and hardware layout making use of interplay between non-skid and glossy areas; complete rid overhaul with new paint job including boom; repair of damaged mastbutt with a custom sleeve; new standing rigging; new vang; install reefing system; repair rotten main bulkhead; install new head; build new G10 beauty plate for chainplates and re-bed all chainplates

The boat as it looks now, after all the work was finished. Surely this is now one of the nicest Islander 36s on the planet!
This is what it looked like when we started the project...
The non-skid panels had been worked on with a grinder, and now required massive amounts of fairing.
This was the condition of the starboard chainplate and bulkhead. Dry rot in the marine plywood required pretty major surgery.

I cut away the bulkhead until I could find healthy wood.   The new plywood gets dry-fitted in place. I also exposeg glass on all sides for the fiberglass tapes. I used a router for the joint to the old bulkhead. I believe it's called a "half lap" joint.
I first used epoxy with high-density filler to glue the pieces together and fill all the gaps between the wood and the hull and deck.
I finished the repair by glassing in the new piece with fiberglass tape and epoxy resin. This was done on both sides of the bulkhead. 

We begin repairing the non-skid panels which had been severely gouged with the grinder edge.
Non-skid panels completely coated in epoxy low-density fairing putty.
After all the damaged areas have been puttied and faired, the deck is finally ready for the primer coat. The damaged and repaired non-skid areas come out perfectly smooth once shot with a uniform epoxy primer.

Cockpit area with the primer coat applied.
At this stage we have sanded the primer coat, coated the entire boat in the gloss LPU, and now shot the non-skid panels with a light grey with non-skid particles in the paint.
All the areas where hardware will be attached were taped off and left as gloss.
Taped-off areas for a cabintop winch and a bank of rope clutches.